Copyediting and line editing are often used interchangeably, though there are differences. While copyediting is a more general term for editing the basic features of text, line editing is a specific type of copyediting that primarily pays attention to the text’s style.
Line editing typically addresses the creative content of a text at a sentence and paragraph level, e.g., writing style, language use, atmosphere, emotion, and tone.
A line edit with TAEM will address:
- Words, phrases, or sentences that are overused
- Dialogue that can be tightened up
- Scenes with confusing action
- Sentences lacking clarity
- Poor word choices
- Inappropriate tonal shifts
- Confusing narration
- Clunky phrasing
- The flow of the prose
- Run-on sentences
Copyediting, then, deals more with the technical or mechanical level, correcting for outright mistakes or inconsistencies.
A copy edit with TAEM will address:
- Spelling, grammar, punctuation, and syntax
- Inconsistencies in spelling, hyphenation, numerals, fonts, POV, tense, and capitalization
- Ambiguous or factually inaccurate information
- Internal consistency regarding plot, setting, and character traits (for fiction or personal history), or the argument (for academic and nonfiction)
TAEM’s Line Editing & Copyediting Services will address all features typically addressed in both line editing and copyediting.
You will receive:
- An edited version with copyedits and line editing suggestions marked by margin comments and Word’s track changes feature
- A polished version
Academic Copyediting Service
Do you have an academic essay or a journal article that is mostly ready to go, but you want to double-check your language, phrasing, and argument remains consistent throughout? Perhaps you’re looking for some copyediting assistance on a college assignment to make sure you receive a top grade? We help academic writers perfect their tone, word choice, and syntax to ensure their piece is ready for publication.
Fiction Copyediting Service
Our fiction copyediting services serve to strengthen short stories (1,500 – 8,000 words) and flash fiction pieces (100 – 1,000 words). In addition to TAEM’s fiction copyediting service — which will address inconsistencies in spelling, grammar, POV, and character traits — TAEM’s fiction line editing service will check for confusing narration, action, or phrasing to bolster your chances of being published.
Nonfiction Copyediting Service
Are you an essayist, nonfiction writer, or blogger looking to touch up and perfect your essay? TAEM is here to help! Our nonfiction copyediting service is excellent for SEO blog articles, critiques or commentaries, and AP-style journalistic pieces.
Personal History Copyediting Service
Personal history pieces are close to home. This type of writing can be more difficult for the author to successfully copyedit him/herself due to the content. Whether you’re looking for a minor copyedit or heavier line editing, TAEM is ready to polish your piece!